Cosmetic Solutions with Dental Crowns
A dental crown is a custom-made artificial tooth cap that completely covers a chipped, cracked or damaged tooth. The tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to cover the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and improve its appearance. The crown, when cemented into place, fully encases the entire visible portion of a tooth above the gum line. Crowns can be made from a number of different materials. All-ceramic crowns are milled out of blocks of solid porcelain to match the shade and color of your tooth.
Most commonly, dental crowns are a restoration procedure for teeth needing more structural support and long-lasting protection than cavity fillings or inlays. Dental crowns can be used in connection with a variety of procedures in cosmetic dentistry:
- Dental Implants: Dental crowns are used to cap the metal rod implant in place of a missing tooth.
- Dental Bridges: Dental crowns on the teeth adjacent to the bridge serve as anchors for the bridge to clamp onto for support.
- Root Canal Therapy: Dental crowns protect brittle teeth after root canal therapy.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
- Support for the Tooth– While dental veneers only conceal the front surface of a tooth, dental crowns cover the entire damaged tooth, restoring functionality, shape, size, and strength to the tooth. This is especially important for posterior teeth where up to 150-200 lbs. of pressure can be placed on the teeth while chewing.
- Long Lasting– Dental crowns are designed to last several years when accompanied by good oral hygiene. On average, they last at least ten years, but generally much longer depending on the type of crown and oral health of the patient.
- Preserve The Tooth – Dental crowns seal the damaged teeth off from bacteria in the saliva that can cause teeth to deteriorate. They can also hold together cracked teeth, preserving their functionality.
- Natural Looking Results – The dental lab can custom mold dental crowns that closely match the curves and shape of your other teeth.
We’d Like To Be Your Family’s Home For Gentle Dental Care in Apple Valley, MN!
Our friendly and professional team is eager to serve you. We offer convenient scheduling to cater to busy families like yours. Click here to email our office or call (952) 432-1101. One of our team members will happily help you schedule a convenient appointment time.